Wednesday 18 January 2012

Elephant painting volunteers...


There's a lot of Elephant to paint, and it will need at least a primer/undercoat and top coat.  Painting an Elephant is a lot more fun with friends and Nic and Nic have volunteered to help.  All I have to do is find some paint and decide on paint and colour.  Prefereably a cheap paint, as this project is now quite over budget.  I have a look under the house, and find a tin of blue grey colour.  I try painting some onto a plywood off cut to see what it looks like.  While this is drying I have a look at the head, the filler we'd put on the screw holes just before transporting it home had fallen out in transit.  I go to where I last saw my tub of instant filler.  The filler isn't there, but my foot bangs into a paint bucket.  The colour is 'Fossil', which is the perfect name, and the perfect brownish/white colour.

The Elephant needs to be sanded before painting, but it is hard to dismantle on my own.  While I'm waiting to Nic and Nic to arrive I start on modification of one of the tusks into a side blown horn.   Making an end blown horn would be quite easy, but I decide on the side blown partly because it is a traditional instrument, but mostly because kneeling down and blowing into an Elephant tusk will look far too silly.  I drill a hole large enough to fit a trumpet mouthpiece.  It makes a sound very much like a conch shell but looks quite silly more like a piece of drug paraphernalia that a musical instrument.  So I chop the end off the mouthpiece, make a larger hole, glue the mouthpiece in place and end up with something very much like the traditional side blown horn.

Side blown horn.
Next step, sanding and priming.

Nicole sanding

Nic and Nic, the ace painting team.

The garden takes on a slightly surreal quality with Elephant bones drying in a daliesque fashion.


No comments:

Post a Comment